Saturday, May 14, 2011

“Houston, The Van Has Landed!"

Just last night six of Essie’s new friends from the neighborhood where over at our house watching Kung Fu Panda and eating ice cream and cookies.  We have been baptized into our new community and it is wonderful.  I love our new neighbors they are beautiful people and have truly made us feel like we are home.

Week one has been busy and fun.  As we arrived at 4823 SW Roseberry about ten members our our launch team arrived.  Four hours later we were sitting at our neighbor’s  home eating their food, drinking their beverages and meeting everyone that we will be sharing life with by virtue of living in the same development. This is the how our week has transpired.  From one thing to the next, running here and there and meeting all kinds of people along the way. 

Monday morning I spent a couple hours at the church site taking down pictures and curtains preparing our launch team for the idea that many thing are going to change.

On Tuesday I enjoyed an Oregon brew at Squirrel's, a local brew pub, with a local twenty-something.  I’m hoping to enjoy his company weekly. 

Wednesday I enjoyed spiritual conversations with two guys at a local bike shop.  By the way, there are at least four bike shops in the downtown area.  Bikes are everywhere.

Thursday I had breakfast with the director of the local chapter of IHOP (International House Of Prayer).  I see some really cool partnership opportunities.  Later I had yogurt with the Executive Pastor of Grace City Church.  This is a local church that has been extremely successful at being missional and reaching both college students and young families.  Then later in the evening I enjoyed coffee with a male member of our launch team that has agreed to meet with me weekly to grow, challenge, and hold each other accountable.  We both hope to see the group grow and become a place to grow leaders.  Exciting.

Friday (yesterday),  I took Abby and Essie to their first day of school.  Amanda took Noah to his new school.  The girls where immediately attacked by groups of girls that wanted to meet the “new girl in town.”  I almost cried.  Seriously!  Later, I enjoyed coffee with the first member of our administrate team then had another cup of coffee with a young musician who is quickly becoming a good friend.  We will be sitting down weekly to dream and grow.  Then later in the evening we made deep dish pizza for all the people in the neighborhood.  The pizza was amazing, if I don’t say so myself :) and our day ended with a bunch of girls sitting in our living room watch the movie.

Today:  In Fifteen minutes we (the whole family) are walking over to Marti’s house to help tear out weeds and turn over soil to make flower beds.  Later I plan on going to the bike shop and picking up some stuff for my main mode of transportation and then tonight we are having a cook out with the launch team out “on the farm.”

What a week!  God is good.  More later...
Josh

1 comment:

  1. Marti had mentioned about your blog so just dropped in to check it out. Thank you, to you and the family, for helping with the prep of the flower/garden beds. Truly appreciate it and we are so happy to have your family in the neighborhood. Believe you and yours are a great addition.

    ReplyDelete